I am an associate professor at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciecnce -- University of Ottawa. In addition, I am a (part-time) senior research scientist at the SnT Center -- University of Luxembourg.Prior to coming to Ottawa, I was a full-time senior scientist (2012 - 2019) at the SnT Center -- University of Luxembourg and a scientist (2009 - 2012) at the Simula Research Laboratory. I received my M.Sc. and Ph.D. from the University of Toronto in 2003 and 2008, respectively.
- Software testing and verification
- Search-based software engineering
- Connected and autonomous systems
- Applied artificial intelligence
- Formal and empirical research methods
I am currently looking for highly motivated PhD and Master students interested in software engineering, software verification and testing, cyber physical systems, applied artificial intelligence, and Internet-of-Things.
Master projects in the areas of software testing and IoT are available. Please contact me if you are interested.
My research interests are in software engineering, focusing on software verification and analysis of cyber physical systems and autonomous, connected and smart systems. In my research, I often draw on techniques from various disciplines, such as formal software and logical modeling, meta-heuristics optimization, machine learning, system and control engineering, and empirical methods.
In the past years, I have extensively worked on testing and fault localization of cyber physical systems and have applied my research to autonomous vehicles and IoT systems. Further, I have worked on the following topics related to requirements analysis, modelling, and design time analysis of CPS: requirements traceability and analysis, automated configuration of product line systems, designtime schedulability analysis, and simulation and modeling of CPS. I have, for the past ten years, been conducting my research in close collaboration with industry partners in telecommunication, maritime, energy, automotive and aerospace sectors.
- Testing cyber-physical systems via evolutionary algorithms and machine learning. Keynote talk at 12th International Workshop on Search-Based Software Testing, SBST@ICSE 2019, Canada [PDF]
- Automated Testing of Cyber-Physical Systems. Huawei Workshop 2017, Luxembourg [PDF]
- Testing the Untestable: Model Testing Cyber-Physical Systems. Technical Seminar at the AVL Engineering company, Austria (2016); at ASTech-Audi company, Germany (2016); at the Airbus company, France (2016). [PDF]
- My Career and What I Learned Along the Way. Marie Sklodowska-Curie Conference 2015 COFUND Conference, Luxembourg [PDF]
- Model-based Design Inspection based on Traceability Information Models and Design Slicing. Dagstuhl Seminar on Software and Systems Traceability for Safety-Critical Projects, 2015, Germany [PDF]
- 2020 Winter: Software Construction (SEG 2106, uOttawa)
- 2020 Fall: Selected Topics in Software Engineering: AI-enabled Software Verification and Testing (CSI 5137 A, uOttawa)
- ARIsTEO -- a tool to generate faulty test inputs for Compute Intensive Cyber-Physical Models
- SOCRaTEs -- a tool to generate automated test oracles for Cyber Physical System models
- SimFL-- a tool for automated fault localization of Simulink models
- SimCoTest-- a test generation tool for Simulink/Stateflow Controllers
- CoCoTest -- a tool for testing dynamic continuous controllers
- SafeSlice-- a SysML-based tool for model slicing and inspections
- TReMer+ -- a tool for matching, merging and consistency checking of distributed models
- Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (2020 - present)
- Review Board: IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (2017 - 2019)
- PB: ICSE, MODELS
- PC: ESEC/FSE, SSBSE - Replications and Negative Results
- PC Chair: SSBSE 2019
- PC: ICSE, ESEC/FSE, MoDELS-Tools Workshop
- PB: MoDELS
- PC: ICSE, ICSE-Workshops, ICSE-New Ideas, SSBSE-Hot off the Press Track, MoDELS-Tools Workshop
- PC: ICST, FASE, ASE, MoDELS, MoDELS doctroal Symposium, REFSQ Poster/TOOL, ITEQS 2017